Thursday, August 14, 2008

A+ Student

This morning Monica, Melissa and I (the 3 CMTs) had breakfast with Mr. Steele, the GM.  I had no idea what to expect, but it went really well!  He asked us how we thought the program was going, if departments were actually prepared for us/how they treated us, what got us into the field, and all that stuff- if there was anything they could do better next time around.  We definitely all appreciated him asking and has some things to suggest, like my biggest concern: instead of having a basics-review at the conference, some type of "how to transition into being a manager" especially after having to manage people who just trained you weeks before.  Mr.  Steele was actually originally a dishwasher in Hyatt and has worked his way allll the up so he had some good advice and told us it's really easier than we'd think.
When I was saying I had a really good experience in Rooms and felt I could go to Jonathan (the Rooms division head) and chat with him anything at anytime, Mr Steele actually told me that he's repeatedly been hearing really good things about me and that everyone knows I'm going to go far with this and how that makes it easy for them to available and open for me.  I was so flattered!!!  What a compliment for the GENERAL MANAGER to tell me that!  It definitely re-enforced me faith in this program because it's allowed the person with the most influence in the entire property to actually get to know me!  I definitely don't think that'd be case, or at least not this early, if I had just come into a hotel in a regular position.  So that was exciting!

In other news, I was in the kitchen today and our friend Walker showed me how to correctly chop things!  I helped with plating in the different sections for this big banquet and pastry was definitely my favorite spot.  I also learned that chefs are kind of crazy and strong-headed and theres some power struggle between back-of-house mgmt (kitchen) and front-of-house (restaurant managers).  For example, I spent the end of the day with the 2 head chefs attempting to set up what the new breakfast buffet will look like, but the rest. mgr didn't like everything and they were going back and forth about it forever....   the things I'm learning!!  I'm just getting antsy to get into Rooms and actually be doing what I'm gonna be doing! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Toni, I just enjoy your blog so very much, what a great way for us to know what is happening with you,
and we are so VERY PROUD of your
progress, as I told your Mother, it
doesn't surprise us a bit for you are ambitious, lots and lots of personality and have so much potential (and showing it). So keep up your great work. We loved having your parents here.